ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT FOR ADULTS
Orthodontic treatment is not just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21.
Our practice is unique in that it was initially established as an adults-only orthodontic practice. We understand and cater to the unique needs of our adult patients. Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance.
Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care by an orthodontic specialist, and now you can too.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, which causes teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease, and difficult to keep clean
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
- Relapse from prior orthodontic treatment without optimal retainer wear
Treatment Options for Adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from seeking treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs.
At Orchin Orthodontics, we are proud to support American Orthodontics, a company that makes all its products in the USA (Sheboygan, Wisconsin, to be exact). Our doctors have personally toured the company’s plant to ensure we were providing only the best for our patients.
Types of braces include:
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may make orthognathic (jaw) surgery possible to align them.
If the issue is related to tooth alignment rather than jaw alignment, many other treatment options are available. Other differences between adult and teen issues include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, and thereby create a bad bite and increase the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure you receive the most appropriate treatments, and your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, which gives you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues that cost you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible. We make it our goal to be the best part of your day!